Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Bodyweight Training Junkie

It's a cold day in Toronto today, so I made sure I layered up and got out my "lobster claw" cycling mittens. Even though it's frosty outside, I still love being on my bike and plan on riding throughout the winter. I have one of those "dutch" bicycles that was engineered and made in Copenhagen and is meant to withstand the snow, ice, slush, etc.

Now onto the musclehead stuff...

Kettlebell Muscle requires you to do your workouts 3 days per week. That's it.

But, much to Geoff's chagrin I'm sure, I'm adding an additional day of just bodyweight training.

See, I'm a bodyweight training junkie and I like the idea of knowing that I can bang out 20 chin ups or 20 pistols. An added bodyweight day will also allow me to mess around with new training programs and exercises.

So today, I did a bit or an unstructured workout and then hit the foam roller and the stretch bands pretty hard for some much needed soft tissue and flexibility work.

Here's how today's workout went down...

1) Chin-Ups - 5, 5 @ 25lbs, 5 @ 35lbs, 5 @ 45lbs, 10

2a) Dips - 2 x 15
2b) Pistols - 2 x 8 per leg

That was a pretty quick workout but my biceps and lats are feeling it from the chin-ups.

On my bodyweight days I'll mess around with the rings and probably start incorporating some handstands and maybe some TGUs.

Tomorrow is an "OFF" day, so I won't be doing much - maybe the foam roller again.

Then it's back to work on Thursday with Kettlebell Muscle.

Chris

No comments: