Friday, June 6, 2008

Excuses

I hear it a lot and I'm quite sick of it...

"Yeah sure, Lopez. I'd be as fit as you if I was a trainer too. I'd be as fit as you if I worked in a gym. I'd be as fit as you if I had time for the gym".

It blows my mind that these people can make every excuse in the book so that they can stay the way they are. The fact of the matter is that I'm friggin' busy! I'm busier than most people. But I still make time to stay lean and fit for 3 major reasons...

1. I do it for my kids. For them to see me active is of the utmost importance. By showing them that I make physical activity a priority in my life, they will make it a priority in theirs. (Also, I've got 4 daughters. So in a few years when the boys start coming around, I need to make them recognize who the alpha-dog is!)

2. I do it for my grandkids. No, I don't have any yet. But not only do I want to "be around" when I do have them, but I want to be able to keep up with them.

3. Yes, I am a trainer and it would look ridiculous for anybody to take training advice from me if I weighed 300lbs.

My workouts, as most of you know, aren't of the bodybuilding/marathon/2-hour type. In fact, for the past 2 years, the most time that I've spent working my own ass off is 30-minutes per session.

Why spend so much time doing a countless number of sets and high volume when all I have to do is work my ass off for 20-30 minutes and get the same, if not better, RESULTS.

I've done this for a living long enough to know that spending my valuable time on the bench press, and then doing incline dumbbell presses, then doing decline dumbbell presses then finishing with some cable flyes is a COMPLETE WASTE OF TIME.


It all comes back to training SMARTER.

Get in. Get out. GO BACK TO LIVING LIFE!

CL
The FitAndBusyDad

No comments: