Friday, August 29, 2008

Twitter and Dark Horse

I was sitting at my favorite coffee place - Dark Horse Espresso Bar in Toronto - this morning and finally finished setting up my Twitter account. I had set it up previously before, but didn't really know what to do with it until a few of my colleagues started using it just recently.

You can now follow me on Twitter by clicking HERE!

Coffee shops are a funny thing.

Barristas pulling magic from giant industrial espresso machines.

People working diligently (or so it appears) on their laptops.

Others having business meetings.

Some reading the paper.

Moms pushing SUV strollers trying to get through the double doors (yes, I try and help them because I know what it's like).

I came to Dark Horse this morning with the intention on getting some work done. But, while sitting having a double espresso, my good friend Anthony walked in to have his "usual" double as well.

He takes the seat beside mine and we end up chatting...

-about upcoming projects...his & mine

-about personal productivity and tricks to help with being more productive (I'm reading a book called "Focal Point" by Brian Tracy right now)

-about courses that we're both taking or are interested in taking

-about our families (he and his wife just recently had a baby boy)

-about how our training is going (he's the strength coach for a professional hockey team)

An hour or so flies by and I don't have any work done, but that's alright because...

-we both are getting our online businesses set-up so we set-up a weekly brainstorming meeting

-we exchanged a list of books and websites that each of us figured would be of use to one another

-we strengthened a friendship

So even though I wasn't as productive as I would like to have been from a work standpoint, I was productive from a learning standpoint. Our conversation gave me a few training tricks to try, a few new books to add to my current book list and some good conversation.

As Busy Dads our days get so unpredictable that you have no choice but to roll with the punches. I work from a list everyday and always try to get as much done as possible. But some days (most days) that doesn't happen for one reason or another.

Running into a friend who I haven't seen in a while who has the same interests (both personally and professionally) was a welcome interruption.

That, and I got free double espresso out of it because he's in good with the owners.

CL
The FitAndBusyDad

P.S. Have you seen who the winner is in the 2nd Turbulence Training Transformation Contest? Check it out HERE!

No comments: