Friday, August 15, 2008

The Top 10 Things That I Learned In The First 2 Days In NYC


We got to New York at about 10am on Wednesday. We left Toronto around 1:30am (we wanted the kids to sleep the whole way through) and went straight to the hotel for an early check-in. The drive was nice, especially during sunrise as the light was starting to hit the tree line in the mountains.

We spent the day in the city yesterday. So, in the spirit of Letterman, here are THE TOP 10 THINGS THAT I LEARNED THE FIRST 2 DAYS IN NYC...

10. Traffic's not THAT bad going in...coming out is another story (it took us an hour and a half to get back to the hotel yesterday - through the Queens-Midtown Tunnel.)



9. In a city of plenty where you can buy everything under the sun, I learned that I already have everything I need.

8. Make sure to charge your camera batteries before you leave the hotel. We made that mistake and took a total of 4 pictures before our screen went blank.

7. Waking up 20-minutes earlier to train is really easy when you get 8 hours of sleep!

6. Our new TomTom GPS is a marriage saver. If you're traveling to unfamiliar places, you MUST pick one up. It will save you a lot of strife.

5. Following an EatStopEat lifestyle saves me a lot of money and a lot of unwanted junk consumption. I fasted yesterday and then enjoyed a delicious Thai dinner with my family after the wedding rehearsal. I spent a total of $2.25 on myself yesterday. Not bad for a day in Midtown Manhattan.

4. Oren's Daily Roast on 58th & Madison has really good espresso. I'm going downtown on Monday to grab a my usual double-long shot at Joe The Art of Coffee while we check out Ground Zero - Thanks to Brian and Belz of the recommendation!

3. After Disney World, FAO Schwartz (the toy store) must be the happiest place on earth.

2. No matter how long it's been since you've seen them or spoken to them, you'll always have family.

And the NUMBER 1 thing I learned the first 2 days in NYC...

1. Do not go to American Girl unless you are willing to take out a second mortgage on your home. I learned this lesson the hard way yesterday. (It, however, wasn't as bad as the guy in front of me in line who spent - no joke - just over $1200 on various dolls, doll outfits and paraphernalia. I thought he was going to pass out when he got the bill)




I'll give you more updates as the days go by and will let you know what I've been doing for my workouts as well. (Just as I expected, the "exercise room" in the hotel has a treadmill, a universal gym and a slant board. It's the size of my closet back home, so I've been doing my workouts in my room).

CL
-the FitAndBusyDad

P.S. I'll be filming some videos next week here while we're back in the city. Stay tuned.

P.P.S. Don't forget to pick-up your copy of The FitAndBusyDad System before you leave to go out of town so you can get your workouts done in 20-minutes or less!

No comments: