Monday, March 30, 2009

Fueling for Competition, Fueling for Life

This weekend, I did something that I haven't done in a long time.

I got asked by a friend of mine to play in an all-day competitive tournament this past Saturday. It was fun. And tiring. And it made me realize that I'm not a young buck anymore.

Because although I'm still relatively young, I'm not 23 anymore. So now it takes a little more "umph" to jump a little higher and a little more effort to dive after a ball.

One thing I did have a leg up on though was how I take care of myself. While these young cats were busy consuming chocolate bars and pizza, I had managed to pack myself some healthier alternatives.

If you took a look into my cooler, you'd find...

-a small bag of carrots
-a tub of organic hummus
-3 apples
-a container of cashew butter, coconut flakes & pecans
-3 big bottles of water

Towards the end of the day, you could tell who was going to be able to push a little harder and who just didn't have anything left in them.

With soccer season fast approaching and with AJ already starting to practice with her travelling team, I know that the all-day tournaments are just around the corner.

With that in mind, while I was preparing the night before, I made sure that my athletic soon-to-be-11-year-old helped me pack my cooler.

I've said this many times before, but I think it's worth saying again....KIDS LEARN THROUGH EXAMPLE.

So if she sees me packing my cooler and fueling my body with healthy foods that will fuel my body to endure a 7-game-in-one-day tournament, then chances are that she'll remember our little father/daughter moment of her helping me and will make similar healthier choices for herself.

Chris
The FitAndBusyDad

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very nice post, Chris, with a great message! Terrific way to get your kids involved!

(I'm going to have to get some cashew butter on my way home tonight...yum.)

Thanks for the post!

F.