Monday, February 23, 2009

8 Simple Rules...

...Well, not quite rules, but 8 Simple Reasons Why I FAST on a weekly basis.

I get at least 3 emails per week asking me about why I enjoy fasting for 24hrs once or twice per week.

I had heard about flexible intermittent fasting before, but hadn't tried it until about a year and a half ago when I met Brad Pilon, the author of the controversial Anti-DIET book EatStopEat.

Brad is a big science geek (and I mean that in the most affectionate way), and his approach towards food and nutrition is a breath of fresh air.

No stringent eat THIS, not THAT rules.

No carrying around a scale to measure how much protein/carbs/fat I'm eating.

No BS.

Here are 8 Reasons Why I enjoy FASTING and why I think ALL BUSY DADS should take advantage of fasting as well...

1. Growth Hormone - There are 3 factors that will positively affect the amount of HGH that you produce. 1) Sleep - get a good quality 7-9hrs per night; 2) INTENSE Exercise - notice how I said "intense"...lift weights and break records - cardio may actually have an opposite effect on your HGH levels; 3) FASTING - HGH levels start to increase the longer you are into your 24hr fast.

2. I hate counting calories. - I think it's stupid. Don't call yourself a busy dad if you count calories because you wouldn't be so busy if you took that time counting and spent it doing more productive things. If you focus on eating QUALITY foods the way mother nature intended - raw fruits & veggies, meat & fish and healthy fats - and just stopped eating before you get full, then you'd lose weight. I'd bet the house on it. Sorry, guys. That's the truth.

3. It lets me eat whatever I want. My consciousness of health has changed over the years, so when I say "eat whatever I want", that still means that I eat healthily. Rarely do I ever "want" fried crap like fries, onion rings or egg rolls. I'll eat the occasional burger (not from a fast food place, but from a good burger shop...actually called The Burger Shoppe). I eat pasta because I make it at home. Ditto for pizza.

4. I'm more productive. Imagine a life where you don't have to worry about food. You don't need to worry about what you're eating next. You don't have to prepare snacks/meals for your work day. If I know that I need to get some good, quality, uninterrupted work done, then I'll fast on that day. It's usually a Wednesday.

5. I break records in the weight room. Fasting seems to trigger something PRIMAL in me that just really increases the intensity of my weight workouts. When I lift on fasting days, I've broken records in my dead lift, push press and chin-ups.

6. I appreciate food more. When you fast, you really examine your relationship with food. Fasting has allowed me to demand more quality in the food I eat. It's made me appreciate food more and has deterred me from settling for "convenience crap". My family and I buy, prepare and consume only GOOD QUALITY food...and we appreciate how lucky we are to be able to eat and have access to such good food.

7. It allows me to stay between 9 - 11% body fat year round. I'm not a bodybuilder (surprise, surprise), so I don't go through "bulking" phases and "cutting" phases. I'm a busy dad who knows that my kids are watching my every move, so instead, I choose to eat healthy (but not restrictive) 365 days a year.

8. It's ridiculously simple. It's a lifestyle where I don't have to worry about what, when or how much I eat. I've got 4 kids...4 daughters at that! I run a business. I enjoy spending time with my wife. I have laundry to do. Volleyball & soccer practices to run. I have mouths to feed. ONE LESS THING to worry about is a welcome luxury.

Interested in trying out an EatStopEat Lifestyle?

Now's the time to try. Brad is having a special promo where you'll also get his latest controversial book "How Much Protein?".

=>Start living an EatStopEat Lifestyle Today!


Chris Lopez
The FitAndBusyDad

P.S. Adding FASTING to you life is the perfect compliment to living the FitAndBusyDad Lifestyle! Click HERE to get started with FitAndBusyDad Workouts today!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How do you and your wife address your fasting w/your daughters? Have they ever asked why you're not eating? I'm guessing FIF isn't recommended for children, so I would imagine they aren't fasting w/you. Especially since you have daughters, how would you explain the difference between intermittent fasting and eating disorders like anorexia?

Heavy questions, I suppose...