Friday, November 7, 2008

Spotlight on The FitAndBusyDad


A couple of weeks ago, I did an interview for Jeremy Biser over at DiscoveringDad.net. I've done a few interviews in the past, but he asked me one of the best questions I've ever been asked...

****
In general, how do you think dads are perceived? Why?

I think you’ll get 2 types of dads…Guys with kids, and “Dads.”

I’m a DAD before anything else.

We get a bad rap sometimes and are really still considered secondary caregivers. I think there are still a lot of “traditional” thinkers out there who think that dads should be leaving at 6am and not coming home until 7pm while they “bring home the bacon,” that we have no business child rearing or keeping house.

I’m lucky in that I’ve managed to structure my business around how I want my life to be. I still leave quite early in the morning because that is my most productive time, but I come home at 3pm every day in time to pick-up my kids, make dinner, give them a bath and read them a bedtime story.

I got a lot of flack for that from my clients who were more of the “guys with kids” types. I even had one client suggest that I hire a driver to pick my kids up from school so that I could work an extra 2-3 hours in the afternoon to be his trainer!!!

Overall though, I think times are changing. You’ll see a lot more of us at PTA meetings, cheering on the sidelines of our kids’ soccer games and just being more involved. It’s refreshing to see and somewhat comforting to know that there are others like me out there.

You can read the rest of the interview HERE.

****

I'll be contributing to DiscoveringDad.net on a regular basis so stay tuned for my column.

I've also been asked to be a regular contributor to Muscle Mondays on TheDadJam.net and to the new fitness series on TheFatheringLife.com so I'll be sure to let you know when those pieces come out as well.

I've turned to these 3 sites for advice and information on fatherhood and entertaining stories on what it means to be a MODERN DAY MAN and I highly reccomend adding them to your weekly readings.

CL
the FitAndBusyDad

No comments: