Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Waking-Up to Last Night's Dinner

This is a story I just couldn't pass up telling you about.

Fast asleep Sunday night after an eventful weekend (I took AJ, Joey and a couple of our cousins to York University to watch the Bronze and Gold medal women's volleyball matches), I am thankful that the bout of sickness and colds that had run rampant through our family is now over.

Everyone is well. Everyone is healthy. This will be a good week.

Deep into my sleep and now into the wee hours of Monday morning, I get a nudge from my wife who says that she's dreamt of paint splattering.

"That's great", I say. "Thanks for waking me up for that". WTF?

Moments later, the pitter-patter of little feet come to our door. I see a faint silhouhette and then hear a voice...

"I just threw-up".

It's Joey, my 5-year-old.

I struggle out of bed to examine the damage. Not that bad. Her shirt isn't wet, there's a little in her hair, but that's about it.

"Did you throw-up a lot?"

"Maybe you should come into the room", Joey says in the most innocent of voices.

So I walk in and the stench is overwhelming. Then I glance over at Frankie who's still fast asleep and I see her COVERED in Joey's puke (I'm really sorry for that mental picture).

Right now, Joey & Frankie have developed such a good relationship that they enjoy sleeping the same bed together leaving the top bunk open...maybe not so much anymore.

I wake Frankie up and then she says to me, "What smells?" Then she runs her fingers through her hair and shouts "EEEEEEWWWWWWW!" and starts crying.

Great.

I put the 2 of them in the bath (again, it's about 4:15am) and proceed to bathe them until I can't smell anything. Then I put Frankie to sleep with Rozanne and set "Pukey" up on the couch downstairs (complete with plastic bag). I strip the bed and start the laundry while Joey lays on the couch about to fall asleep again.

The next time I look at the clock, it's 5am. TIME TO GET UP!

Can anyone out there top that night? Please comment if you can so that I'll feel better!

CL
The FitAndBusyDad

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whew! I can't top that one Chris, but I've been there with my boys when they were younger...sounds like you racked up a few more 'Dad points' bu letting your wife sleep and dealing with the mess yourself.

Only thing that might compare: There as a time when Will, my youngest, was about 5 or 6 years old and would come walking into our bedroom at 4:00am-ish EVERY morning, walk over to my side of the bed and shake me until I woke up and say "I can't sleep, Daddy."

I'd walk him back into his room, climb up on the bed with him for about 10 minutes (unless I fell asleep on his bed) and help him go back to sleep. Then I'd go back to bed and try and go back to sleep.

He did this for about a FULL year, no joke. Thought I would go nuts and that it would never end. Now he and Sam sleep like rocks.

Amen, brother!

Your post brought back some 'good' memories...thanks!

FitAndBusyDad said...

Hey Fred

OK, so I don't feel so bad now. My incident, thankfully, was a one-time occurrence. But having to go through what you went through for A FULL YEAR!?! I think you may have more patience that anyone I know!

Chris