Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Butt Out Already!


I was watching Oprah with my wife a little while back (c'mon guys, your wives make you watch it too). Usually, I'd have my laptop with me and pretend that I was watching when I'd really be working. But this episode was on health and fitness, so it particularly grasped my interest.

There was a doctor on the show (Dr. Oz, I think) who was talking about the dangers of smoking, for both the smoker themselves and their kids. There was one particular statistic that made me fall off the couch...

Through second hand smoke, your child inhales the equivalent of 1 out of every 4 cigarettes that you consume.

1 OUT OF EVERY 4!!!

Listen, it's your perrogative if you smoke. I can understand that.

But don't light up in front of your kids.

Don't do it when they're in the room.

Don't go to another room while they're in the house.

Don't crack a window in the car and smoke your butt while someone is sitting beside you.

Kill yourself BY YOURSELF.

Who ever said that cigarette smoking was cool needs to be institutionalized. What is this, the 80s? It causes cancer of the mouth, lungs and throat. It turns your teeth yellow. It makes your clothes stink. It makes you look like an idiot when you're standing outside in the freezing cold without a jacket on while you're having a butt.

Your kids are smoking 1/4 of the crap you're smoking and they don't even know it.

Be more responsible. Be less selfish. Get rid of the cigarettes.

cl

No comments: